Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Two Steps Forward

First thing this morning the electrician showed up to finish work on the all the kitchen electrical work. It took a couple hours and he got everything hooked up and ready to go for power. While he was here, Lowes delivered all the tiles, grout and supplies needed for the floor work.

The electrician liked to talk to himself as I soon found out. Initially I couldn't tell if he was talking to me or to himself, which made it a bit odd at first. I was a little nervous at one point when he was reading instructions on the GFCI outlets, thinking as an electrician he should know that, but who knows, he could have been reading something else.

He got all the wall outlets done, and hooked up an outlet under the sink for the dishwasher and garbage disposal to plug into. The stove outlet got all hooked up and secured and ready to go as well. He also had to hook up the power to the microwave. He had a little trouble with that but got it done as well. He got the two lights hooked up as well. There is one under the cabinets above where the sink is going to go. That was a change I made from the way it was. Previously there was an old, ugly looking light on the ceiling above the sink area. I had them take that out totally, and instead had a light hooked up and hidden underneath the cabinets.

The other light is the ceiling light. It wasn't originally in the plans to have them switch that out, to be honest I had actually forgotten about it. I had bought a new light and just left it sitting in the kitchen for him to see and hopefully change out. As he was finishing up today, he said he noticed the light and said he didn't think it was on the original job description to include that. I played stupid, hoping for the best, and said I didn't remember if we talked about it or not. He said he could go ahead and do it assuming there were no complications. Thankfully there weren't and he changed them out in about five minutes time, and looks so much better.

The tile and other flooring supplies were delivered as well, and by the same guys from Lowes who delivered the stove, dishwasher and microwave. As we were talking we both wondered why they didn't have him deliver all the tile and flooring supplies at the same time he delivered the appliances, which would have saved them an extra trip. But I guess they have their reasons. And now my room that was just emptied of my cabinets now has the flooring supplies stacked up and filling the void. Will that room ever get emptied?

No comments:

Post a Comment