Saturday, July 31, 2010

Three Steps Back

As quick as things seemed to be going with the kitchen, they suddenly came to a screeching halt. After the electrical work and delivery of the flooring supplies, I was ready for things to get hopping. Not so much.

For some reason, I thought the installers were coming on Friday, which was my day off, to install the flooring. Not sure why that was in my head, but since I lost my pocket calendar where everything was written down, I couldn't be certain when I thought they were coming. After they didn't show up, I called and left a message to double check on the scheduling of the work. The contractor called back and after looking at his schedule, said he would be there to install the flooring on August 11 and August 12, which is another couple of weeks away. Of course, the stove and dishwasher can't be installed until after the floor is done either. So it's just more waiting.

At least the date is set to have the countertop measured. Someone from that company comes out on Monday morning to get all the exact measurements so they can cut the countertop. Now, after initial talks with that company, they were set to come out and install the countertop on August 12. With the contractors doing the floor that day, there's no way they can both be in there at the same time. So I asked about moving the countertop install to a different date. Of course, there was no way they could do it sooner, they were too booked. Earliest they could do it was the following Monday, August 16, so I booked that date. Since the sink will come with and be installed with the countertop, I will continue to be with no kitchen until at least then. I'm also hoping they can install the countertop quickly since I close at work that night.

So I guess you could say the patience is starting to run a little thin. More out of anticipation than anything, but a little frustration as well. It just seems odd that they can come and work on it, and in a four to five hour work day, get the drywall up and install all the cabinets, then go weeks without touching it. If so much can get done that quick, why not come back sooner and get it totally done and out of the way. Obviously they have other jobs going on, but the large gaps in doing the work on mine is a little annoying.

There is another matter I need to figure out as well, but I'm not sure I can do that until everything else is done. I need to figure out paint colors for the walls. A friend suggested doing that early in the process, before they put up the cabinets. He said it would be easier to paint without anything in the way, which is true, but I'm not sure I could decide on a color until I had the cabinets, countertop and floor all in to match the colors better and see what looks best. So that will have to wait for now.

So now it's just more sitting and waiting until Monday, when they come to measure for the countertops. I did break one of my goals though. I ate out at the same place more than once now. I know, I know, I was going to try and not do that, but it just didn't work out that way. On Friday night, I ate at Steak 'N Shake for the a second time during the process. It was quick, easy and cheap, and a friend I was meeting there didn't have a lot of time, so we met there. I'm sure I'll hit up some of the other restaurants more than once too, especially since I've got at least another two and half weeks before its done.

Current Restaurant Tally: Tues 7/13 - Wendys, Wed 7/14 - Macaroni Grill, Fri 7/16 - Red Lobster, Sat 7/17 - Steak 'N Shake, Mon 7/19 - Max&Ermas, Sat 7/24 - Dominos, Sun 7/25 - 54th Street Grill/Dairy Queen (dessert only), Wed 7/28 - Little Ceasers, Thud 7/29 - Longhorn Steakhouse (treated a friend to dinner on her birthday), Fri 7/30 - Steak 'N Shake, Sat 7/31 - Penn Station

No comments:

Post a Comment